Saturday, March 10, 2012

Thoughts on this Puck Bunny Phenomenon

Yep, I'm at the center of this one. Unintentionally so.

It started because while going through the album, on the 31st page, I was shocked to find the picture of me with my two friends and a poster I made that said "Don't Stop Believin'" on it. Emotions that followed... how to describe. Shock, anger, pure rage, sadness, etc. Everything you can pretty much imagine.

Its hard to explain the feelings that you get from seeing yourself put in a photo album with crazy girls who have signs that say things like "Ryan Kesler leave your wife and marry me!" or girls with shirts that say "Mrs. Hall and Mrs. Eberle," each wearing their own veil. I was highly insulted to be grouped with people like this. Words can't describe it.

But then it spread like a virus. The whole female hockey fanbase catches wind of it, and it explodes like a goddamn atomic bomb. For the most part, its support among the hockey community, from big names such as Russian Machine Never Breaks and Puck Daddy voicing their support for us and against Sports Illustrated.

Its almost surreal for me to see, knowing that I'm in this whole mess completely unintentionally. But that being said, I'm loving the things I'm hearing from not only other female fans but male fans as well.

Being a female fan of hockey is a burden. It feels like we always have to justify ourselves to our male counterparts. In general, we get defensive very easily when our loyalty comes into question, which tends to happen A LOT more than it does with other sports.

I'm a casual football fan. I support the Hokies when I'm feeling up to a football game. Not ONCE has anyone questioned my support while I was at a football game. But at a hockey game? Oh words cannot describe how close I was to punching some ignorant casual male fan in the face.

Its a ridiculous stereotype. And to be honest, I do get mad at certain people, girls in general, who are loud about this sort of thing. they scream about their pride being puck bunnies, accuse other female fans of being jealous of them because they are talking to their favorite players and such. Its just annoying and it doesn't help the case of those of us who love the sport.

That being said, there is no use to attack these girls. They do what they do, but they shouldn't be the standard for the rest of us. Obviously there is a reason that these stereotypes come to be, however unfair they are.

Male hockey fans seem to be a lot more close minded than other sports fans. At least, based on what I've experienced. Its so frustrating for me to state an opinion regarding my team and have someone completely disregard it simply for the fact that I have a vagina. And trust me, its happened on more than one occasion. Of course, in general, people who use that argument are stupid and are total dicks, which tend to make themselves look worse than me.

Its just tiring. I love my team more than words to describe and I've supported them through all of the hardships we've experienced this year. I've been through all the struggles and frustrations with every other fan and I've done my best to be the best fan I can be. And yet, there are still people who call me a 'bandwagoner' or accuse me of only liking the Caps because they are pretty.

I hate this argument. Anyone remember when women's soccer was big this summer? I didn't hear anyone calling men bandwagoners because they thought Alex Morgan or Hope Solo was pretty. Its a double standard that's absolutely ridiculous.

I'm sick of feeling the need to prove my loyalty. Anyone who knows me personally knows my devotion to the Caps, and they laugh at the fact that I was put in this situation. I know I have nothing to prove to anyone, but I still feel the pressure and the need to. And I know I'm one of many who feels it.

To all the guys who are out there, defending us in this and calling out Sports Illustrated, I want to personally thank you for the support given to all of us. We really appreciate the support we get from the opposite gender in things like this. You guys are the best.

I'll leave you with a few very articulate articles that can better articulate things on this subject, or cover some bases I didn't go over. This whole controversy has been a problem for a long time and a lot of times it doesn't feel like its ever going to change. I just hope hockey fans can prove me wrong on this one.

Haters are gonna keep on hating, but this sign is still making its appearance on more than one occasion at the Verizon Center.



No comments:

Post a Comment