Saturday, March 10, 2012

This Whole "Puck Bunny" Thing

I must admit. I don't try to flaunt my sex in people's faces. I like to watch sports, talk about them with anyone who will listen, and try to forget that people probably judge me because I sit when I pee.

I love Sports Illustrated. I read every single thing they write about football. Monday Morning Quarterback is something I pull up every Monday with my coffee.

I just don't understand how they think that a whole photo album about "puck bunnies" is okay. Much less thinking that adding three of my friends who are the farthest things from puck bunnies in it. Roxy's "Don't Stop Believing" sign has gotten a lot of face time, both on tv (we were on tv Tuesday!!), and on this album.

We don't watch this sport because of the guys who play it. We watch this sport because we like it. I cannot comprehend why guys find this so hard to believe. I hate that we have to try and defend ourselves to people.

Nicklas Backstrom is my favorite player. It is not because he has a pretty face. It is because he gives his heart and soul to this game and team. He gives his everything to try and win. He is extremely skilled but doesn't flaunt it. I detest that I have to tell people he's my favorite player and give reasons other than his physical appearance.

Girls are guilty of this. I hate the girls that give us fans bad names and that have started the whole "puck bunny" thing. But I don't want to go out and call them "puck bunnies". They could be like me. They could really enjoy the sport but get carried away sometimes. It happens to the best of us. I am guilty of this. I have a sense of humor that people don't seem to get or understand which makes me a "puck slut".

I hate that I'm labeled and judged. I like sports and I like shopping. So somehow I'm told I'm a whore. Makes sense right?

And sometimes guys don't get what we are going through. They don't understand why this bothers us so much. As one of my best friends Clare said: "[they] will never understand what it's like to have [their] dedication to the only thing [they] love in the whole world questioned on a regular if not daily basis."

I find it funny that this doesn't really happen much in football. I am never asked why I love Joe Flacco and Ray Lewis. It is easier for a girl to like football. But with hockey, my fanhood is constantly thrown into question.

I want to rock the red and I freaking will no matter what. It's just really discouraging sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment