Thursday, April 26, 2012

Don't Stop Believing

Wow. So we did it. We really actually did it. Our seventh seeded Washington Capitals knocked off the defending Stanley Cup Champions in the first round.

Of course it was done in game 7 in overtime, because lets be honest, who expected anything less? With the way the series went, I was not at all surprised when Seguin tied the game up.

But the fact that we actually did it... we actually won in overtime, thanks to Joel Ward living up to his playoff hero status, still stuns me. I've always believed in my boys, but I was more afraid of the loss than anything. So, a few points to cover.

  • How about our role players tonight? Man, did they shine. Hendy's goal was an unbelievable deflection. Papa Knuble blocked the shot that led to the 2 on 1, and set up Wardo's OT winner. Wardo scored the OT winner. Who needs stars to win a game, eh? 
  • How about that Karl Alzner? This blog is for him, so of course we're going to talk about how well he played. Not just tonight, but all series. Bergeron had an open net in OT, and even if it was mostly his fault it didn't go in, I'm sure Alzner would have blocked it if he had gotten a good shot off. The point is, he was there.
  • Braden Holtby. are there even any other words besides that? He is the sassiest of all the sassy players, and the amount of fucks he gives about the Bruins? Zero. Subzero. I told them, I TOLD the Bruins fans at the beginning of this series that you don't fuck with Braden Holtby. Did they listen? HAHAHA OF COURSE NOT. But who has the last laugh? Oh yeah, the girl who knew Braden all along. 


Look at that motherfucking sass.

via the-radio-dept.tumblr.com


  • Braden is the hottest topic that everyone in the NHL is talking about nowadays. Now that our fabulous rookie has beaten out the Vezina, MVP, Stanley Cup winning veteran goalie, why wouldn't he be? His story is an absolute sensation and I'm so happy I can finally rant and rave about him and people understand why.
  • His numbers were equivalent to the aforementioned Tim Thomas, which is far above what anyone had expected. Although many of us knew him much better than the rest of the NHL, I still think a lot of were surprised with his elevated play. I've known Braden could rise to the occasion, but even I was blown away by his ability to stop 44 of 45 shots on more than one occasion. Through seven games in this series, he had a .94 save percentage, and a 2.14 goals against average. I literally have no words for it.
 Everyone counted us out. The day it was set that we were playing the former Stanley Cup Champions, everyone assumed we were done. Hell, even going into game 7 there was chatter everywhere about our inability to complete the playoff series. Kate and I were at game 6, and everything I heard from the other fans around me after that loss was awful... I know its disappointing, but having no faith in your team? Absolutely no excuse for that.


And man, did they show all of you what they're capable of.


We don't know who we're facing next. Either the Rangers, Flyers or Devils. I don't have a preference on who we play, because after beating the Stanley Cup Champions, I honestly believe we can take anyone on and have an equal chance of winning.


This team is great. This team has what it takes to win. This team is going to do great things. And right now, we're all along for the roller coaster ride with them. But the most important thing from all this is that we know that our boys are having the time of their lives, and they deserve it.


Its our motto here, but always remember Caps fans, don't stop believin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment