Friday, April 13, 2012

Caps/Bruins Game 1 recap

With the initial sting from last night finally subsiding, I think I can provide a pretty good analysis of things. Obviously, it kind of felt like we deserved to take that one, after battling through 60+ minutes and weathering all of the storms the Bruins threw at us.

  • The first period was just plain out scary. I was hoping that once the game started, I myself could calm down, but with a period like that? Oh my god as if. Boston was all up in our zone, we couldn't get a shot to save our life, and the only reason shit didn't completely hit the fan was because of Braden Holtby.
  • Boston came out hitting, too. We knew that was going to happen. But my god, was I screaming at my TV for us to hit back. We NEEDED to hit back. They pretty much walked all over us in the first period.
  • But in the second, all hell broke loose. We got into penalty trouble, and Boston was outshooting us heavily. It was nasty, but it was exciting as anything. Braden stood on his head, stopping every shot that got through our boys and to him. And he took a roughing penalty. Now THAT is the Braden we all knew would show up for this game, isn't it?
  • John Carlson. It would be nice to say that he knows to peak at the right time, but its only been one game, so we can't say that exactly yet. But he did well last night, and watching him jump in to protect Holts? Best thing I've ever seen in my life.
  • Joel Ward. Anyone else notice that his game picked up significantly last night? Not just him, but our whole fourth line pretty much carried the offense. Can I just mention the fact that our fourth line is unbelievably talented? Aucoin-Perreault-Ward. Tell me those guys aren't some of the most talented fourth liners in the league.
  • Seems like Dale Hunter did another one of those inspirational/yelling speeches during the second intermission. We came out dominating the third period, and all the chances had me screaming on the floor and eventually in a fetal position because we were SO CLOSE. 
  • Holtby's game. Nothing else really needs to be said, and you'd understand what I mean right? I knew the kid had this kind of game in him. The question now, is whether or not he can keep it going. As Peter pointed out with stats, a .967 save percentage wins cups. Rounding up, that's 97%, which is fucking ridiculous.
  • Holtby faced twice as many shots as Thomas did. He stopped 29 of 30 shots, while Thomas stopped all 16. So anyone who thinks Thomas saved this game would be incorrect. The reason the Caps didn't win this game was because of shots. If we had tested Timmy more than we did, I've convinced we would have won. He was giving up more rebounds, their defense was floundering more in front of the net than we were. The main thing I took out of this game was that the Caps lost it for themselves with lack of offense.
  • That being said, we played a fantastic game and we're finally doing what you need to do to win a playoff series; stifling defense and shot blocking. Poor Marcus Johansson sacrificed his face on more than one occasion tonight, the little Swedish warrior. Ovechkin was throwing his weight around, and was up to the challenge of the physicality without whining about it. That's the kind of effort we need and if we keep this up, and add offensive pressure, we will be unstoppable.
There was a lot of praises singing Holtby's name last night. My last point to go over involves him. I've seen this kind of thing happen after his game against the Wild; suddenly everyone is a fan of him and everyone wants him in net all the time.

Guys, I want you all to remember that he's still a young, developing goaltender. I've always known that he can stand on his head and steal games, but I've also always been there for him when he's had a bad game. This kind of thing, all the noise of everyone shouting about how he's jesus and our savior or whatever, is only going to last as long as he's playing like this. And if you expect him to have a nearly 97% save percentage every game, you should probably adjust your expectations.

I'm not saying he's not capable of it, but he does have some pretty dramatic highs and lows. And as soon as we have a low stretch, I hear people saying things like "I'm convinced he's going to lose the game for us." and "We need Neuvy in net! God I miss Vokoun!" That kind of thing. 

So just remember, he can be unbelievable, but cut the guy slack if he lets in one bad goal or two. I know him, and I know he's pissed at himself for letting that game winner in. I know he can step up, and I just hope he continues to do so because if he does, he can steal this series from right under the Bruins feet with a little help from the offense.

Don't stop believin', Caps fans. The next game comes faster than you'd expect, just pick it up and move on. And if it helps, go watch Florida get thrashed by New Jersey in the first round.

No comments:

Post a Comment