Monday, April 16, 2012

Playoffs Matchups Aren't Disappointing

I know this is a Caps blog, but bare with me here. Its the playoffs, a time where everyone is jumping to different teams and has an opinion on every matchup. It is without a doubt the most wonderful time of year, where former enemies become friends to unite against a common enemy. See for example: Flyers and Caps fans unite against the Pens fans. That's just one common theme we've seen so far these playoffs.

Just the eastern conference in itself has been a freakin' soap opera. Whether its ridiculously obvious contrast between the Flyers/Pens series and the Caps/Bruins series, the stupidly pestilent Florida Panthers winning their first playoff series in ten goddamn years, or the Rangers and Senators attempting to kill each other, its been a roller coaster ride. And that's just the Eastern Conference.

The Caps and Bruins play their third game tonight, and it'll be interesting to see if there is going to be any difference compared to the first two games. I'm still a little reluctant to assume Braden is going to be an absolute brick wall like he has been, but I certainly hope so. Of course, I'm still expecting to be in a fetal position, on the verge of puking up whatever I ate this afternoon while rocking back and forth and crying slightly. Wait... am I the only person that does that into double OT?

But that doesn't matter right now. The talk of the entire NHL at this point is the Pens/Flyers game yesterday afternoon. A total of 133 penalty minutes, all in 60 minutes played. That's more than twice the penalty minutes of actual game time played. Which is freaking insane.

  • Matt Cooke emerged from the bloodbath with zero penalty minutes. You heard me, ZERO. The Mayans were clearly right about 2012 being the end of the world.
  • Arron Asham is the scum of the earth. I challenge anyone to attempt to prove me wrong on this point. I think anyone who watched what he did to Brayden Schenn would agree so. 
  • What the hell happened to Marc Andre Fleury? I know he can be streaky but this is taking it to a whole different level. And of anyone to feel sorry for in that organization, its him. I have a serious soft spot for goalies, and I'm sure he's disgusted with himself and his performance throughout this series.
  • That being said, Bryz hasn't exactly been spectacular at his end. Goaltending as a whole doesn't exist, and they might as well both pull goalies and play 6 men instead, with the number of goals they're scoring collectively.
  • Malkin has been held goal-less. Can someone explain to me, how in the HIGH HEAVENS has the NHL's lead point scorer been held scoreless in a series where all that happens is scoring and fights? DOES NOT COMPUTE.
  • Speaking of fights, holy Crosby vs. Giroux. THAT was something I never thought I'd see. Crosby called Giroux a pussy, and was obviously projecting.
  • Most of it all happened within the first period. Then in the third, the Pens came out to slaughter, proving that basically, they're the dirtiest team in the league and have stolen that so called "title" from the Flyers, according to most people.
  • James Neal. Wow. I don't really have any words for what he decided to do. I'm really disappointed in him for going out there and head hunting like he did. Its just unbelievably unsportsmanlike and just shows complete immaturity.
  • Speaking of unsportsmanlike and immaturity, Sidney Crosby. I cannot get over his childish behavior during the game. Personally, I don't like to complain about him being a whiner and such, but my lord did he want to prove me wrong yesterday. Absolutely despicable way to handle the game, coming from someone who is supposed to lead the team. Leading by example pretty well there, aren't we captain?
There is no other way to classify a game like that other than a complete and total shitshow. I think everyone can agree that the Pens lost quite a bit of integrity as an organization with that one. I also tend to place the blame on them for that game compared to the Flyers, who in my eyes were just doing things to protect their guys.

Obviously, these two franchises don't like each other, so they're more than likely to go at it. But that circus display yesterday, while entertaining, was something that shouldn't happen in the future. Even if teams hate each other, they should have mutual respect. The Pens should have taken the loss with more dignity, and they just showed the entire league that they will throw temper tantrums if they don't get their way. Its absolutely disgusting to do what they did, and any respect I had for them has virtually evaporated into thin air.

On a lighter note, its good to know my team can handle a loss with ten times more dignity than that, and that my captain isn't going to go out there and do what Crosby did. I don't like comparing Crosby and Ovechkin, but in this case when it comes to leadership, well I think its shown who has more composure in a certain situation. I don't recall Ovechkin running around like this in the second round last year just before we got swept by Tampa.

Even more drama to ensue tonight, and god knows what wednesday is going to hold. All I know is that I'm grabbing a bowl of popcorn and enjoying the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment